Were you hurt in an accident caused by a distracted driver in San Diego, CA? You may be entitled to seek compensation from the negligent driver for your pain and suffering, lost earnings, medical bills, and more. An experienced San Diego distracted driving accident lawyer can help you fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Mission Personal Injury Lawyers. has represented injury victims and their families in cases involving distracted driving accidents in San Diego County for decades. We are committed to helping you build your case and fighting back against the insurance company. Contact our San Diego law office today at (619) 777-5555 for a free consultation to discuss how we can help you.
Table of Contents
How Mission Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Distracted Driving Accident in San Diego
Distracted driving crashes are a common occurrence in San Diego, California, but recovering the compensation you are owed is not always easy. The insurance company may claim you are at fault or try to minimize the severity of your injuries and the value of your damages.
Our San Diego car wreck attorneys are prepared to help you build the strongest case possible. We have been named Best of the Bar by the San Diego Business Journal for our commitment to our clients. Our law firm is dedicated to giving accident victims compassionate legal representation and leveling the playing field against insurance companies.
Count on us to:
- Provide legal guidance and support from the beginning to end of your case
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation into your crash to gather evidence for a strong negligence claim
- Work with specialists as needed to prove the other driver was distracted and how it caused your crash
- Accurately value the full extent of your damages
- Negotiate on your behalf
- Present your case to a jury to seek maximum damages when a fair settlement can’t be reached
Call Mission Personal Injury Lawyers today for a free case review with a distracted driving accident attorney in San Diego. We work on a contingency fee basis; you pay nothing out of pocket unless we are successful.
How Common Are Distracted Driving Accidents in San Diego, CA?
Driver inattention and distraction are leading causes of motor vehicle accidents in the U.S. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) attributed 2,841 deaths to distracted driving in 2018 alone. Over 400,000 people were injured that same year. Every day, these accidents injure 1,000 people and kill roughly nine others in the United States.
Cell phone use is one of the most common types of distraction for California drivers.
- A 2015 California Traffic Survey found that texting while driving was the most serious type of distraction on California roadways.
- In a 2019 statewide survey, 58% of California drivers said they had been hit or almost hit by a driver using a cell phone. Over half of the surveyed drivers admitted they had made a mistake while driving and using a cell phone.
Distracted driving is common and on the rise in San Diego, too. California banned the use of handheld phones and texting while driving in 2008. Still, over the next decade, cell phone use contributed to 37% more crashes in California.
In San Diego, the number of cell phone-related crashes increased 24% from 2007 to 2017. In 2017 alone, the California Highway Patrol reported 22,315 distracted driving crashes in the state.
In many jurisdictions, police accident report forms do not have separate driver distraction codes. The NHTSA estimates that about 25% of all traffic accidents are caused by some kind of driver distraction.
What Is My Distracted Driving Accident Case Worth in San Diego ?
The value of your car accident case is impossible to estimate without a careful review of your circumstances.
Some of your damages are easy to calculate, such as current financial losses. Anticipating future losses for wages and medical bills can require the assistance of medical and financial experts. Non-economic losses can be even more challenging to value as these damages are non-financial.
During your consultation, our San Diego accident attorneys will discuss the factors that can impact your claim’s value, such as:
- The amount of insurance coverage available
- Whether you contributed to your crash
- The permanency, type, and severity of your injuries
- Whether you face long-term medical needs, impairment, or disability
- How your injuries will affect your quality of life and function
Contact Mission Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your injury accident. We will help you understand the variables that affect your case’s value and how we will value your damages.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to San Diego, CA Accident Victims?
If you can successfully show another party was at fault for your accident, you are entitled to seek compensatory damages. These damages include special damages for your economic losses and general damages for your non-economic losses.
You may be entitled to money for:
- Property damage to your vehicle
- Medical bills, including current expenses and reasonable future medical care
- Lost wages for the time you need to take off work
- Diminished earning capacity if you are left impaired or disabled
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
Rare cases are eligible for punitive damages. A jury may award punitive damages to punish the defendant. These damages require showing clear evidence that the defendant acted with malice, fraud, or oppression.
If a loved one was killed in a distracted driving accident, surviving family members can seek different damages through a wrongful death claim. These cases may be eligible for damages such as funeral expenses and loss of consortium and support.
Can I Recover Compensation if I’m Being Blamed for a Distracted Driving Accident in San Diego, California?
California uses a pure comparative negligence system in accident cases that involve shared blame. Under this doctrine, you can recover money from the other party even if you are up to 99% at fault. But your damages are reduced based on your percentage of fault. You may be assigned blame for a crash if you were not paying attention one of the most dangerous roads, speeding, or violating traffic laws at the time of your accident.
It’s crucial to consult with an experienced San Diego car accident lawyer if you are being blamed for your injuries. Insurance companies use this approach to reduce their own liability and limit payouts. Mission Personal Injury Lawyers has decades of experience fighting back against blame-shifting tactics.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your San Diego Distracted Driving Accident Injuries
At Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, our San Diego accident lawyers understand the devastating impact your accident may have had on your life.
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Neck, shoulder, and back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Internal injuries and organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Airbag injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Crush injuries
- Nerve damage
Contact Mission Personal Injury Lawyers today. Our San Diego distracting driving accident lawyers will help you build your case to seek the full compensation you are owed.
What Causes Most Distracted Driving Accidents in San Diego?
There are many dangers of distracted driving. This includes distractions inside the vehicle and outside the vehicle.
Common forms of distraction that can lead to a crash include:
- Talking to passengers
- Adjusting climate control settings or the radio
- Eating, drinking, or smoking while driving
- Using or reaching for an item in the vehicle
- Using a cell phone while driving
- Distraction outside the vehicle, such as another accident or looking at the color of the car.
- Distracted because of alcohol abuse
Distractions can be classified as visual (such as reading a text message or looking at a GPS screen), cognitive (talking with a passenger), or manual (eating). Cell phone use is considered the most dangerous type of distracted driving. It often involves all three types of distractions.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Distracted Driving Accident in San Diego, CA?
California takes cell phone use and other driving distractions very seriously. California prohibits using a cell phone by hand while driving. Cell phones can only be used hands-free by adults 18 and older. Drivers under 18 cannot use a cell phone in any way while driving.
To prove the other driver was negligent and driving while distracted, Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will investigate your accident to uncover crucial evidence.
This may include:
- The police report, which may indicate if the driver was distracted or a certain distraction was suspected
- Distracted driving or cell phone use citation issued by law enforcement
- Cell phone records, which can prove the other driver was texting, on the phone, or browsing the internet during or before the crash
- Surveillance, traffic, and dash cam footage may show the driver distracted at the time of the accident
- Statements from witnesses who saw the driver’s behavior
- Expert witnesses like accident reconstruction experts who can identify probable causes of the crash
Mission Personal Injury Lawyers is prepared to give your case the personal attention it deserves to build the strongest negligence case possible. Contact us today to learn more about an attorney-client relationship.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Distracted Driving Accident in San Diego, California?
The California statute of limitations for car accident lawsuits is just two years. If you do not file your lawsuit before this deadline, you will be barred from recovering any compensation.
It’s important to consult with a San Diego personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your crash. Delays may weaken your case and ability to recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact a San Diego Car Crash Attorney for a Free Consultation
Were you injured in an accident caused by a distracted motorist? You should not face the financial burden of your injuries alone. Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will take over the fight for you and pursue the maximum compensation you need.
Contact our law office today to schedule a free consultation with a San Diego Car Crash Attorney for the representation you deserve.
Other Car Accident Claims We Cover
Our law firm handles all types of car accident cases involving:
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Head-on crashes
- Highway crashes
- Intersection accidents
- Lane change crashes
- Left turn crashes
- Multi-vehicle crashes
- Parking lot accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Self-driving car crashes
- Single vehicle accidents
- Speeding crashes
- U-turn accidents
- Red and yellow light accidents
- Suv-rollover accident
- Recreational vehicle accidents
San Diego Car Accident Resources
- California Child Car Seat Laws
- Can I Be Compensated For Pre-Existing Conditions After a Car Accident in San Diego?
- Car Inspection Laws in San Diego, CA
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run Accident in San Diego?
- How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take to Settle in California?
- Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections in San Diego, CA