California law requires drivers to carry specific amounts of automobile insurance to operate a vehicle within the state. Sadly, many individuals choose to ignore the required insurance coverage. Therefore, it is likely that you could be involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.
The San Diego car accident lawyers of Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, have over 43 years of combined experience handling car accident claims. Since the law firm was founded in 2010, our lawyers in San Diego have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We sincerely believe that every accident victim is entitled to fair compensation or damages
However, insurance companies do not share our belief in fair settlements. Our award-winning law firm has substantial experience battling auto insurance providers to get the money our clients deserve from uninsured motorist claims.
Table of Contents
How Our San Diego Car Accident Lawyers Help You with an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Accident Claim
The insurance adjuster may tell you that you can do nothing to recover compensation for damages because the other driver does not have insurance coverage. Do not believe the insurance adjuster.
You may have several causes of action that could get you the compensation you deserve. For example, you may be able to sue the at-fault driver to obtain a personal judgment. You may also file a claim with your own insurance company under your uninsured motorist coverage.
When you hire our award-winning San Diego personal injury lawyers, we will:
- Analyze your case and explain your legal rights and the California laws applicable to your claim, and provide guidance about the next steps you should take
- Investigate the cause of the car accident and gather evidence proving causation, fault, and liability
- Document your damages to calculate the maximum value for your injury claim
- Work with you to file an uninsured motorist insurance claim, if necessary
- Consult accident reconstructionists and other expert witnesses as needed
- File all insurance claims and monitor the case progress
- Calculate the deadline for filing a lawsuit under California’s statute of limitations
- Negotiate for full compensation of all damages
If the other parties refuse to act in good faith to settle your insurance claim, we are prepared to fight the case in court. Contact us for your free case evaluation from an experienced San Diego auto accident attorney.
What Are the Insurance Requirements for San Diego, California Drivers?
There are four types of acceptable automobile insurance coverage options in California. Most drivers purchase a motor vehicle insurance policy to satisfy insurance requirements.
By law, drivers must have at minimum of $15,000 bodily injury coverage for one person hurt in an accident, and $30,000 for two individuals. Additionally, drivers must have at least $5,000 in property damage coverage.
Liability insurance coverage compensates accident victims for damages resulting from a car crash you caused.
What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
By law, all insurance companies are required to offer drivers underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) and uninsured motorist coverage (UM). However, you can refuse this insurance coverage by signing a form with your insurance agent.
However, the cost of UM/UIM coverage is relatively low compared to the protection you receive from these insurance policies.
Underinsured motorist coverage compensates you for damages not covered by an at-fault driver’s insurance policy.
For instance, if your damages from a car crash you did not cause total $40,000, you would file a claim against the at-fault party for damages. Assuming the person has minimum liability insurance ($15,000), you are responsible for the rest of your damages.
However, if you have underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance provider pays you the remaining balance of your accident claim, which would be $25,000. The payment is subject to your policy limits.
Uninsured motorist coverage is similar. If you are involved in an accident with a hit and run driver or an insured driver, you may assume you do anything. However, if your automobile insurance policy includes UM coverage, you file a claim with your insurance company.
What Damages Are Covered by Uninsured Motorist Insurance Policies in San Diego?
If you prove that the other driver caused the car accident, your insurance provider should compensate you for damages up to your uninsured motorist policy limits.
Damages that you could receive under an uninsured motorist insurance policy include:
- Medical expenses and bills
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and benefits
- Mental and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Nursing and personal care
- Future loss of income and ongoing medical care
- Permanent impairments and disabilities
Having these optional insurance coverages on your auto insurance policy can be helpful. You can talk with your insurance agent regarding prices and coverage amounts for UM and UIM policies.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Auto Accident Lawyers in San Diego, CA
Insured drivers obey the law, but they can be financially liable when uninsured drivers cause car crashes. If this happens to you, contact our office to discuss options for recovering compensation for your uninsured motorist claim in San Diego.
Your initial appointment is free of charge. Get legal advice from a San Diego car accident lawyer during a free, no-obligation appointment.
Other San Diego Car Accident Claims We Cover
Our law firm handles all types of car accident cases involving:
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Defective tire accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Head-on crashes
- Highway crashes
- Intersection accidents
- Lane change crashes
- Left turn crashes
- Multi-vehicle crashes
- Parking lot accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Self-driving car crashes
- Single vehicle accidents
- Speeding crashes
- U-turn accidents
- Red and yellow light accidents
- Suv-rollover accident
- Recreational vehicle accidents
San Diego Car Accident Resources
- California Child Car Seat Laws
- Can I Be Compensated For Pre-Existing Conditions After a Car Accident in San Diego?
- Car Inspection Laws in San Diego, CA
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run Accident in San Diego?
- How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take to Settle in California?
- Car Color & Crash Risk
- Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections in San Diego, CA
- San Diego Car Accident Statistics