Have you been injured in a car accident that resulted from a driver performing an unsafe U-turn in San Diego, California? Our San Diego U-turn car accident lawyers at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers can help you hold the negligent parties accountable and maximize your compensation.
Our award-winning lawyers know how to push back against insurance companies that will do anything to avoid paying your claim. We know their tactics, and we won’t let them take advantage of you.
Table of Contents
How Mission Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a U-Turn Car Accident in San Diego, CA
With over 40 years of combined legal experience, our highly-respected car accident attorneys at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to advocate for you. We’ve handled countless car accident cases, and we know all the ins and outs. We have a 99% success rate, which explains why we’re known for winning.
If you hire us to represent you in your U-turn car accident case, you can expect us to:
- Conduct our own investigation of the accident
- Review evidence, including photos/videos of the site, crash reports, and medical records
- Work with experts such as medical professionals and accident reconstructionists
- Handle all negotiations with the insurance companies
If the insurance companies don’t play fair, we’re prepared to take them to court. Rest assured, your case is in good hands. Call us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our San Diego car accident lawyers.
Are U-Turns Legal in California?
A U-turn is a traffic maneuver where a driver turns the vehicle to travel in the opposite direction. U-turns are potentially dangerous when drivers execute them illegally and/or without caution.
It is legal for California drivers to make a U-turn across a double yellow line when it is safe to do so and when a U-turn isn’t otherwise prohibited.
Even legal U-turns require drivers to ensure that the maneuver is executed properly. Drivers are responsible for ensuring that there is no risk of an accident with another vehicle, bicyclists, or pedestrians before execution.
U-turns are legal in residential areas under the following conditions:
- The U-turn is made at a traffic light to prevent an accident with oncoming vehicles.
- There are no approaching vehicles within 200 feet.
- At green arrow traffic lights unless there is a posted sign noting otherwise.
U-turns are also legal on a divided highway with a designated space to allow drivers to execute the turn safely. Drivers are expected to be cautious and evaluate the safety of a U-turn, even when legal.
California drivers are required to adhere to traffic laws and comply with signs that indicate U-turns are illegal.
There are also several areas where making a U-turn is always illegal:
- At/on a railroad crossing
- If a “No U-Turn” sign is present
- Without visibility
- In a business district
- In front of a fire station
It is illegal to make a U-turn in any situation when it is not safe to do so. This applies whether or not the circumstances fall within one of the aforementioned categories.
What Causes U-Turn Accidents in San Diego, California?
U-turn accidents are generally caused by a driver who acts recklessly, resulting in potentially disastrous consequences.
Causes of a U-turn accident include:
- Attempting a U-turn without enough room to execute the turn
- Cutting across lanes of traffic
- Slowing down to execute the turn
- Speeding while driving
- Turning illegally
- Not having a quick reaction from a self-driving car
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road defects
The driver needs to be able to safely maneuver the vehicle without slowing down too much and without crossing into other lanes of traffic.
What Injuries Are Caused By a U-Turn Accident in San Diego?
Making an unsafe U-turn puts the driver, oncoming motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians at risk of a serious accident. These accidents can result in potentially life-altering injuries.
Injuries may include:
- Broken bones
- Brain injury
- Organ damage
- Seatbelt or airbag injuries
- Spinal cord damage
Contact Our Car Crash Attorneys in San Diego For a Free Consultation
California drivers are legally responsible for ensuring that a U-turn is safe before executing the turn. Unfortunately, reckless drivers are everywhere, and we’re not always able to avoid collisions.
Don’t miss the deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
Other San Diego Car Accident Claims We Cover
Our law firm handles all types of car accident cases involving:
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Defective tire accidents
- Head-on crashes
- Highway crashes
- Intersection accidents
- Left turn crashes
- Multi-vehicle crashes
- Parking lot accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Single vehicle accidents
- Red and yellow light accidents
- Uninsured motorist claims
- Suv-rollover accident
- Recreational vehicle accidents
San Diego Car Accident Resources
- California Child Car Seat Laws
- Can I Be Compensated For Pre-Existing Conditions After a Car Accident in San Diego?
- Car Inspection Laws in San Diego, CA
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit and Run Accident in San Diego?
- How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take to Settle in California?
- Accident statistics in San Diego
- Car Color & Crash Risk
- Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections in San Diego, CA