Catastrophic injuries can result in permanent disabilities and wrongful death. The experienced trial lawyers at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers understand how to advocate for maximum compensation for your injuries and damage. Our San Diego Catastrophic injury attorneys have substantial experience handling cases involving catastrophic injuries. Call us at (619)777-5555 for a free consultation.
These types of personal injury cases can be challenging and often involve substantial damages. We have over 25 years of experience and a 99 percent success rate. When you or a loved one sustained catastrophic injuries, you want 5-star rated personal injury lawyers in San Diego, CA, to handle your personal injury claim. Contact our San Diego personal injury law office for a free consultation with one of our San Diego catastrophic injury lawyers.
How Our San Diego Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Sustained a Catastrophic Injury
The team at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers are the best San Diego personal injury attorneys to help you. We have resources, skills, and knowledge over 25 years of practicing personal injury law.
We understand how to negotiate top-dollar settlements and aggressively represent our clients during a trial.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Fight for the maximum compensation available in your case
- Handle all communication with the insurance company so that you can focus on your recovery
- File all claims with insurance companies and lawsuits to protect your best interest
- Complete a comprehensive investigation to gather evidence and identify the parties liable for your damages
- Address your concerns promptly and keep you informed about your case
We are passionate about fighting for the rights of accident victims in San Diego, California. Contact us to request your free consultation with experienced personal injury attorneys in San Diego.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
California does not have a standard legal definition of a catastrophic injury.
However, most definitions of a catastrophic injury defines the injury as one that:
- Alters a person’s life forever
- Results in permanent impairment or disability, including paralysis
- Causes significant disfigurement, including amputations and severe scarring
- Results in the inability to work
- Decreases the person’s quality of life
- Results in significant damage to bodily organs and systems
- Causes loss of sight or hearing
- Results in the need for prosthetics or assistive devices
Many types of injuries can be considered catastrophic. Traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries can result in permanent disabilities. Multiple or complex fractures and broken bones may be considered catastrophic injuries in some cases.
Any accident injury resulting in a life-threatening condition or permanent disability is generally treated as a catastrophic injury in accident cases.
What Are Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries?
Many types of accidents and incidents can cause a catastrophic injury.
Some examples of situations that can lead to catastrophic injuries include:
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Premises liability (slip and fall accidents)
- Defective products (product liability)
- Sports and recreational activities
- Commercial truck accidents
- Assaults and violent acts
- Construction accidents
When a person is involved in an accident that results in catastrophic injury, the person often incurs substantial financial losses. They also experience extreme mental anguish and emotional distress caused by the injury.
Filing a personal injury claim can recover compensation for those damages. However, do not wait to act. The California statute of limitations restricts the time you have to file a personal injury claim. You only have two years from the date of your accident to initiate a lawsuit.
Who is Liable for Damages Caused by a Catastrophic Injury?
The party who caused the person’s injury is liable for damages. In a car accident claim, that party is generally the driver who caused the crash. Medical malpractice claims hold medical providers liable for medical errors and negligence.
If you are injured on another party’s property, the property owner may be liable under a premises liability claim. Manufacturers, distributors, and sellers can be liable for damages caused by a defective product. Most personal injury cases are based on negligence claims.
To win your case, you have the burden of proving all four legal elements of a negligence claim:
- The party owed you a duty of care
- The party breached the duty of care
- The breach of duty was a direct and proximate cause of your injury
- You sustained damages because of the breach and injury
If you cannot prove each of these elements, you cannot recover compensation for your damages. That’s why you need an experienced personal injury lawyer working to investigate the cause of your injury and gather evidence to prove each of these legal elements.
What Damages Are Included in a Catastrophic Injury Claim?
The damages that you can claim for a catastrophic injury include:
- The cost of medical treatment and care
- Personal care and in-home health care costs
- The cost of a long-term nursing home or assisted living facility
- Loss of income and benefits, including decreases in earning potential
- Permanent disabilities and impairments, including disfigurement and scarring
- Physical, emotional, and mental pain and suffering
- Decreases in your quality of life or enjoyment of life
The value of your claim depends on the severity of your injuries and other factors. We fight to get you the maximum compensation based on the facts of your case.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our San Diego Catastrophic Injury Lawyers
If another party has injured you, we want to help. Contact Mission Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation with a San Diego catastrophic injury lawyer to discuss your case.
Our personal injury law firm in San Diego, CA also provides:
- Airplane Accident Lawyers in San Diego, CA
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in San Diego, CA
- Boating Accident Lawyers in San Diego, CA
- Car Accident Lawyers in San Diego, CA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in San Diego, CA
- Dog Bite Attorneys in San Diego, CA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in San Diego, CA
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in San Diego, CA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in San Diego, CA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in San Diego, CA
- Truck Accident Attorneys in San Diego, CA