El Paso, home to more than 678,000 people, is the sixth-largest city in Texas and the 23rd-largest city in the nation. It’s also a popular tourist destination, thanks to its close proximity to Mexico, rich culture and history, and cuisine. It’s estimated that more than 2.3 million people visit El Paso every year – which puts a considerable strain on local infrastructure and highways.
Where there’s traffic, accidents tend to follow. And according to data from the Texas Department of Transportation, El Paso has its fair share of motor vehicle accidents every year. Contact Mission Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation with an El Paso car accident lawyer, call us at (915) 591-1000.
How Common Are Car Accidents in El Paso, Texas?
Since 2018, there have been an average of 42 car accidents in the city of El Paso, Texas.
There has been a slight drop in the total number of accidents – about 9 percent between 2018 and 2021.
- 2018: 17,035
- 2019: 16,255
- 2020: 12,489
- 2021: 15,623
As tourism picks back up after a drop-off in 2020, accidents appear to be increasing, as well.
Do Many Car Accidents in El Paso Cause Serious Injuries?
Depending on the year, between 25 percent and 27 percent of all traffic accidents in El Paso result in at least one physical injury or death.
Suspected Serious Crashes and Injuries
Scores of traffic accidents cause at least one suspected serious injury – such as a traumatic brain injury, amputation, or broken bones – every year.
- 2018: 172 accidents resulting in 201 severe injuries
- 2019: 182 accidents resulting in 209 severe injuries
- 2020: 135 accidents resulting in 152 severe injuries
- 2021: 190 accidents resulting in 216 severe injuries
The year 2021 reported the highest number of catastrophic and severe injuries on record in recent years.
Suspected Minor Crashes and Injuries
Thousands of people sustain injuries that can be classified as minor after being involved in El Paso, TX, auto accidents.
- 2018: 1,557 accidents resulting in 2,167 moderate injuries
- 2019: 1,239 accidents resulting in 1,630 moderate injuries
- 2020: 971 accidents resulting in 1,334 moderate injuries
- 2021: 1,765 accidents resulting in 2,364 moderate injuries
Unfortunately, 2021 saw a sizable increase in moderate crashes, up by about 12.8 percent over 2018.
Possible Injury Crashes and Injuries
Sometimes accidents in El Paso cause injuries that may not be recorded or reported. These affect thousands of drivers and passengers every year.
- 2018: 2,873 crashes resulting in 4,288 possible injuries
- 2019: 2,716 crashes resulting in 4,049 possible injuries
- 2020: 1,963 crashes resulting in 2,868 possible injuries
- 2021: 2,324 crashes resulting in 3,035 possible injuries
Overall, the number of accidents causing possible injuries increased, but the number of people potentially affected has dropped slightly since 2018.
How Many Car Accidents in El Paso, TX, Are Fatal?
There’s a fatal car accident about every 5.5 days in El Paso, Texas. Fatal crashes and fatalities have both increased since 2018.
- 2018: 62 fatal car accidents resulting in 64 deaths
- 2019: 65 fatal car accidents resulting in 67 deaths
- 2020: 55 fatal car accidents resulting in 66 deaths
- 2021: 66 fatal car accidents resulting in 69 deaths
Interestingly, fatal crashes declined drastically in 2020, but the number of people killed in those collisions remained fairly consistent with prior years.
Are Drunk Driving Car Accidents Common in El Paso?
Between 2018 and 2021, there were an average of 1.83 DUI car accidents reported in El Paso, Texas, every day.
- 2018: 773 drunk driving accidents
- 2019: 697 drunk driving accidents
- 2020: 577 drunk driving accidents
- 2021: 629 drunk driving accidents
Sadly, many of these accidents result in needless fatalities. Since 2018, there have been at least 10 fatal DUI accidents recorded in El Paso every year.
- 2018: 16 fatal DUI crashes resulting in 16 deaths
- 2019: 17 fatal DUI crashes resulting in 18 deaths
- 2020: 10 fatal DUI crashes resulting in 19 deaths
- 2021: 16 fatal DUI crashes resulting in 16 deaths
Data shows that while fatal drunk driving accidents declined overall in 2020, the number of deaths reached a recent high.
Where Are the Most Dangerous Roads in El Paso?
Accidents can – and do – happen across the city of El Paso. However, data shows that certain roads and intersections tend to see more collisions than others.
Some notably dangerous roads in El Paso include:
- Border Highway, Paisano, and San Antonio
- Gateway Blvd West
- Pebble Hills Blvd
- Interstate 10
- SH 20
- Loop 375
- US 62
- Joe Battle and Montwood
- Joe Battle and Edgemere
You might not be able to avoid these roads or crossroads, as they’re some of the most heavily traveled in the city, but you can exercise additional caution. This can help to reduce the likelihood of getting into an accident if someone else is negligent.
How Mission Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’re Hurt in an El Paso, TX Car Accident
If you live in El Paso or visit regularly, there’s a good chance that you’ll be involved in a car accident at some point in time. No matter the circumstances of your collision, the experienced El Paso car accident lawyers at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will be there to help.
You could be entitled to a sizable financial award from responsible parties, and our legal team can help you work to achieve the best results in your personal injury case.
Our award-winning attorneys have over 43 years of experience and have won tens of millions of dollars on behalf of injured crash victims just like you. Since 2010, we’ve been a dedicated advocate for our clients, helping them stand up to tough insurance companies and get the financial accountability they deserve.
When you trust us with your El Paso car accident lawsuit, we will:
- Take care of every aspect of your case so that you have the opportunity to recover from your physical injuries and emotional trauma
- Pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages
- Investigate the circumstances of your crash
- Gather critical pieces of evidence
- Subpoena and interview witnesses and relevant parties
- Consult with car accident and injury experts throughout the process
- Defend you against claims that you share fault for your car crash in El Paso
- Negotiate with the insurance company and other parties on your behalf
If you’re not offered a fair settlement, our top-rated Texas trial attorneys will be fully prepared to bring your case to a jury in El Paso County.
We offer a free case evaluation and work on contingency. There’s no risk in asking for our help. Reach out to our law office in El Paso, TX, to arrange a time to speak with a member of our legal team today.