Have you been injured or lost a close family member because a doctor in El Paso made a medical error? If so, don’t hesitate to call Mission Personal Injury Lawyers. You may have the right to file a medical malpractice lawsuit and seek compensation for your medical costs, suffering, and other damages. Our experienced El Paso medical malpractice lawyers are ready to help you fight to get every cent you deserve.
Since 2010, our award-winning Texas trial attorneys have established a 99 percent track record of success. We have not only helped our clients stand up to powerful hospitals and insurance companies and fight to hold them accountable for the avoidable and tragic negligence of Texas healthcare providers but also our clients who have been involved in a car accident, truck accident, El Paso catastrophic accident, motorcycle injury case, pedestrian accident claim, construction accidents and more.
Our personal injury law firm has recovered tens of millions for our clients in the process. Give yourself the edge you need to win your medical negligence case. Contact us online or call our law office in El Paso, TX at (915) 591-1000 to discover how our top-rated team of litigators can help you get the results you deserve. We offer a free consultation, so contact us to get started today.
Table of Contents
How Mission Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been the Victim of Medical Malpractice in El Paso, TX
The doctor or healthcare provider who made the mistake won’t rush to accept responsibility. The hospital will try to twist the facts and avoid liability for your devastating injuries. If you want to win your medical malpractice case, it’ll be important to put an experienced legal advocate in your corner.
That’s where our personal injury attorneys in El Paso, TX, can really help.
We understand that a medical mistake can change the course of your life forever. It can strip you of your ability to work and spend time doing things you once loved. It can even shorten your lifespan. We’re ready to put 43+ years of combined experience into your fight to hold the negligent healthcare provider fully responsible for their mistakes.
You take this time to figure out a game plan for your recovery, and our accomplished trial attorneys will handle the rest; we will:
- Obtain an expert report to support your allegations that your doctor committed an act of medical negligence
- Carefully investigate the circumstances of your medical care and treatment
- Analyze evidence obtained through the discovery process, including medical records, patient charts, provider records, video recordings, hospital policies and procedures, witness statements, and more
- Enlist the help of qualified medical specialists and professionals who can offer detailed insight into your medical negligence claim
- Aggressively negotiate terms of a settlement offer with the provider, hospital, insurance company, and other parties
- Offer advice and support when it’s time for you to decide whether to accept a deal or file a lawsuit
- Represent you at trial if you don’t receive a fair settlement offer
You trusted your healthcare provider to keep you safe. Instead, they made a mistake that has the potential to change your life forever. Don’t let them off the hook for their mistake. Contact Mission Personal Injury Lawyers and find out how our skilled medical malpractice attorneys in El Paso can help you make things right.
We offer a free consultation and work on contingency, so call to speak with a member of our legal team today.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical doctors are held to heightened standards of care. After all, their patients’ health – and lives – are quite literally in their hands. So, in Texas, doctors are expected to provide a standard of care that matches what a reasonably prudent doctor of the same specialty would have done under the same circumstances.
Under state law, you can file a medical malpractice claim for treatment, lack of treatment, or other departures from accepted standards of medical care.
In other words, if your doctor didn’t use the level of care, skill, or competence that would generally be expected of them, given their education and experience, they can potentially be liable for mistakes that are made.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win My El Paso Medical Malpractice Case?
Medical malpractice claims are a matter of negligence. In this context, negligence refers to a healthcare provider’s unreasonable action (or inaction) that causes a patient’s injury or death.
When you file a medical malpractice claim in El Paso, you’ll have the burden of proving:
- Duty of care: the healthcare provider owed you a duty of care because a provider-patient relationship existed
- Breach of duty: the provider did not do what a reasonably prudent provider would have done under the circumstances, thereby breaching the duty of care owed to you
- Causation: the provider’s negligence was the direct and proximate cause of an injury or death
- Damages: you, as the patient or patient’s surviving family member, suffered damages
In Texas, you must prove the elements of your medical malpractice claim by a preponderance of the evidence. Your story must be more likely true than not – and backed up by an affidavit from an independent medical professional.
Our Texas personal injury attorneys have decades of combined experience navigating complex medical malpractice litigation matters. We’re ready to take on your negligent doctor, the hospital where the medical mistake happened, and the insurance company to help you prove your case and get the money you deserve.
What Are the Most Common Types of Medical Negligence?
At Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, we represent clients in all types of medical malpractice cases, including:
- Surgical errors
- Wrong-site surgery
- Failure to treat
- Failure to diagnose
- Delayed diagnosis
- Anesthesia errors
- Medication errors
- Errors involving medical devices and equipment
- Birth injuries
Why do these types of medical mistakes happen?
There are a lot of reasons, but common contributing factors include:
- Failing to listen to patient concerns
- Doctor fatigue and burnout
- Staff communication errors
- Charting errors
- Failing to obtain a patient’s informed consent
- Premature discharge
- Failing to order appropriate diagnostic tests
- Misinterpretation of test results
Our medical malpractice attorneys in El Paso will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your sub-par medical treatment. We’ll dig deep to discover what type of mistake was made – and why. Once we’ve identified the cause(s), we can begin to seek damages from all liable parties.
Who Can Be Liable for Medical Malpractice in El Paso, TX?
In Texas, anyone who commits an act of negligence or contributes to a patient’s injury can be held legally responsible for the resulting damages.
Depending on the specific details of your medical malpractice case, liability might extend to:
- Nurse practitioners
- Emergency room staff
- Emergency care centers
- Hospital administration
Our medical negligence lawyers in El Paso will work hard to identify all parties involved in your negligent medical care. We’ll work to hold them all individually responsible for the harm you’ve suffered.
What Damages Can I Get If My El Paso Doctor Was Negligent?
You can generally recover economic and non-economic damages for losses related to an act of medical negligence.
Economic damages are paid to make up for financial losses, such as:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Medical devices and equipment
- Nursing assistance
- Funeral expenses if an act of medical negligence is fatal
Non-economic damages are awarded to make up for the trauma you’ve endured, such as:
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
Texas limits awards for non-economic damages. Under Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code section 74.301, you’re generally limited to $250,000 in damages for pain and suffering. If multiple healthcare facilities are liable, the cap on non-economic awards is $500,000.
What’s the Statute of Limitations on Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in Texas?
Under Texas law, a two-year statute of limitations applies to most medical malpractice lawsuits.
Typically, the clock on the statute of limitations begins to run on the last day you receive treatment. However, it can be tolled if there’s a reasonable delay in the discovery of your injury or illness. In these cases, the statute of limitations would begin to run on the date of discovery.
If a family member is killed because of an act of medical malpractice, you’ll have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
However, Texas also has a statute of repose that limits the amount of time in which you can bring a claim for medical negligence. You’ll typically have 10 years from the date of the act of negligence to file a lawsuit. This is true, even if you haven’t discovered the injury or mistake yet.
Set yourself up for a financial victory by reaching out to an experienced medical malpractice lawyer near you in El Paso as soon as you learn about your injury. You have a limited time to take action, and getting a jumpstart on litigation can be critical to success.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced El Paso Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Have you been the victim of a medical error in El Paso, Texas? Your doctor has to be held accountable for their mistakes. Don’t let them off the hook – call Mission Personal Injury Lawyers and enlist the help of our award-winning El Paso medical malpractice attorneys.
We have the experience, reputation, and knowledge you’ll need to make your case and get the money you deserve.
Benefit from a top-rated legal team with 43+ years of combined experience fighting on behalf of injured patients like yourself.
Your first consultation is free, so contact our law office in El Paso, TX to begin today.
Our personal injury law firm in El Paso, TX also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in El Paso, TX
- Brain Injury Lawyer in El Paso, TX
- Car Accident Lawyers in El Paso, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in El Paso, TX
- Commercial Vehicle Lawyers in El Paso, TX
- Construction Accident Attorneys in EL Paso, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in El Paso, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in El Paso, TX
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in El Paso, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in El Paso, TX
- Product Liability Lawyer in El Paso, TX
- Sexual Assault Attorney in El Paso, TX
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in El Paso, TX
- Truck Accident Attorneys in El Paso, TX
- Uber Accident Attorneys in El Paso, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in El Paso, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorney in El Paso, TX