Were you or a family member harmed by a medical mistake in Chula Vista, CA? You may be entitled to recover compensation from the negligent doctor, hospital, or medical provider. An experienced Chula Vista medical malpractice lawyer at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Between us, our lawyers have over 43 years of experience fighting for injured clients after being involved in an accident, such as a car accident, truck accident, motorcycle accident, bicycle accident, construction accident, pedestrian accident, Chula Vista workplace accident, Chula Vista dog bites, brain injuries or any other type of accident. Since we opened our doors in 2010, we’ve committed our practice to helping victims and their families recover meaningful financial awards.
Don’t hesitate to reach out for legal advice today if you were injured due to a medical error. Contact our law offices in Chula Vista, California, to schedule a free consultation today at (619) 722-3032.
Table of Contents
How Mission Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in Chula Vista
When a doctor, nurse, or health care provider makes a mistake, it’s always the patient who suffers the consequences. Medical malpractice laws tend to favor the healthcare professional. As a patient, it can be difficult to recover the fair compensation you deserve.
At Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers have a 99% success rate when it comes to recovering fair compensation for our injured clients. Our Chula Vista personal injury attorneys have been listed by Super Lawyers as Rising Stars and Super Lawyers. We’ve also been named a Best of the Bar Law Firm by the San Diego Business Journal.
Hiring our team means you’ll have a fierce advocate to:
- Investigate and gather the evidence to prove your case
- Hire medical experts to testify on your behalf
- Calculate the fair value of your case
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and defense attorneys
- Fight to protect your rights in court if necessary
Without an experienced Chula Vista personal injury lawyer, you risk accepting less money than you deserve. Our lawyers have been helping clients like you for years. To learn more about how we can help you get the money you need to get back on your feet again, give us a call today.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
A medical provider commits malpractice when they make a mistake that no reasonable health care professional would make under the circumstances.
Any medical professional can be held liable for malpractice, including:
- Family physicians
- Physical therapists
- Hospitals and medical facilities
- Nursing homes
Medical malpractice can occur in many different situations. However, not every medical mistake amounts to medical malpractice. Similarly, only some bad outcomes will give the patient a valid medical malpractice case.
If you suspect that you were a victim of medical malpractice, call our law firm in Chula Vista to learn more about this practice area today.
What Is My Chula Vista Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
The value of any medical malpractice case will depend largely on the nature of your injuries. Regardless of the types of injuries you have sustained, however, you should expect the insurance companies to try to downplay the damages you’ve suffered.
Some of the factors that will determine how much your case is worth include:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The value of your lost wages during recovery
- How the injury impacts your future work, education, and quality of life
- The strength of your negligence claim
- The nature of the at-fault party’s acts
- The identity of the responsible parties
A serious injury can cause hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat. Scheduling a free consultation with an experienced lawyer is the best way to determine how much your case is worth. To learn more about how a lawyer can help you maximize the amount of compensation you take home, call our law offices to schedule a free case review today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice?
As a victim, you may be entitled to recover damages for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages, income, and employment benefits
- Reduced future earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
If your loved one died because of a medical error, you may be entitled to recover compensation for wrongful death. Our lawyers can help you seek money for funeral costs, the loss of your loved one’s company and support, and more.
Our Chula Vista Medical Malpractice Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
The consequences of a medical mistake can be far-reaching.
Some of the most common long-term consequences of medical negligence include:
- A worsened underlying medical condition
- Brain damage
- Spinal cord damage
- A reduced life expectancy
- Severe depression and other mental health issues
- Internal organ damage
- Heart failure
- Blood clots
- A need for medical treatments that would otherwise be unnecessary
- Nerve damage
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Our lawyers can help you fight to recover fair compensation for these and other injuries you may have suffered. To learn more about your legal rights, contact Mission Personal Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation today.
What Causes Most Medical Errors in Chula Vista, California?
According to one survey, 10% of physicians admitted to making a major medical error within the past three months. 55% of all physicians reported experiencing symptoms of burnout. Those symptoms can easily lead to medical mistakes.
Some of the most common causes of medical malpractice include:
- Inexperienced or unqualified healthcare professionals
- Failure to diagnose cancer and other diseases
- Outdated knowledge and technology
- Fatigued and overworked hospital employees
- Failure to order the correct diagnostic tests
- Misinterpreting lab results
- Failure to recognize the patient’s symptoms
- Failure to take a full patient history
- Failure to properly monitor the patient before, during, and after a medical procedure
- Failure to provide proper post-operative instructions
- Defective medical devices and equipment
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Mistaken patient identities
- Charting and communication errors
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist
- Physician bias
- Drug and alcohol use
As a patient, it can be difficult to determine the exact cause of your injuries. Our Chula Vista medical malpractice attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation into your case to find out what happened.
How Do I Prove Medical Malpractice in California?
Proving medical malpractice can be difficult. To build a strong case, you’ll need experts to testify about the type of medical care you should have received under the circumstances.
To successfully sue for damages, you’ll have to establish:
- The responsible party owed you a legal duty of care, such as in a doctor-patient relationship
- The medical standard of care under the circumstances
- The at-fault party failed to provide the medical standard of care
- The failure caused you to suffer some type of harm, or damages
Our lawyers will work with medical experts to establish the medical standard of care in your case.
That standard varies from case to case and depends on:
- The type of medical condition or injury involved
- The patient’s general health, medical history, and life expectancy
- The medical provider’s education and position
- Geographic location
Do you suspect that you received inadequate medical care? Our lawyers can work to help you prove your case. We handle all types of medical malpractice cases, including those involving:
- Surgical errors
- Emergency room errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Nursing negligence
- Birth injuries
- Medication errors
- Hospital negligence
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Failure to obtain informed consent
- Infant brain damage
- Pharmaceutical errors
- Radiology errors
To learn more about our legal team and how we can help, call to schedule a free initial consultation today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in California?
Like any car accident victim, victims of medical errors must take legal action before the statute of limitations expires. Under California law, victims of medical malpractice have three years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit.
You must take legal action within three years of the date the injury occurred. However, a discovery rule also applies if you don’t discover the medical mistake right away. You can file a lawsuit within three years of the date you discovered or reasonably should have discovered the injury.
There are some exceptions to the general rule. You may have more time to take legal action if the healthcare provider:
- Committed fraud
- Intentionally concealed the medical mistake
- Left a foreign object in your body
Once the statute of limitations expires, you lose your right to sue for damages in the Southern District of California. To learn more about the deadline in your case, contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation today.
Contact a Chula Vista Medical Malpractice Attorney for a Free Consultation
Medical mistakes can leave a patient devastated. If a trusted medical provider caused you more harm than good, our attorneys at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help. To learn more about how an experienced Chula Vista medical malpractice attorney can help with your case, call for a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chula Vista, CA also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Car Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Product Liability Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA