Have you been seriously hurt in a bicycle accident in Chula Vista, CA? You may be entitled to compensation for the injuries you have suffered from a negligent driver. Our Chula Vista bicycle accident lawyers from Mission Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover a full financial award. Call our law office at (619) 722-3032 for a free case review with an attorney who will fight for your rights.
Mission Personal Injury Lawyers has over 25 years of experience not only representing injured cyclists, but also representing injured victims caused by Chula Vista car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, Chula Vista construction accidents, and slip and fall accidents in San Diego County.
Table of Contents
How Mission Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in Chula Vista, CA
Dealing with the insurance company after a serious accident can be a stressful, traumatizing, and emotional experience. You need compensation for the medical bills, lost earnings, and pain you have suffered, but the insurance company may fight you every step of the way. You deserve an experienced Chula Vista personal injury lawyer in your corner to help you pursue the money you deserve.
Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will help you fight back against unfair insurance company tactics and seek full compensation for your injuries. Our Chula Vista, California law firm has a 10.0 Superb AVVO rating and has been named the Best of the Bar by the San Diego Business Journal. Put our decades of legal insight into personal injury law to work for you.
- Offer compassionate and insightful legal advice to help you make informed decisions
- Conduct an independent investigation into the accident to gather evidence
- Work with experts to evaluate evidence and create expert testimony to prove how your accident happened, who is at fault, and the value of your damages
- Negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company
- Present a persuasive case to the jury to seek maximum damages if a fair settlement isn’t reached
You are not alone. Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will help you through every step of your bicycle accident case to fight for the compensation you need. Call our law office for a free consultation with a Chula Vista bicycle accident attorney ready to help you.
We work on a contingency fee basis; you pay nothing out of pocket and no attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Chula Vista, CA?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Chula Vista is one of the 20 most dangerous cities in the United States for cyclists. California, Florida, and Texas alone accounted for 41% of all bicyclist fatalities between 2014 and 2017 even though they have only 27% of the U.S. population. 13 of the 20 American cities with the highest rate of bicyclist fatalities were in one of these three states.
Chula Vista ranked 6th in the U.S. with an annual bicycle accident fatality rate of 358 per 100k commuters or 4.7 per 1 million residents.
Among the most dangerous Chula Vista intersections for bicyclists are:
- Palomar & Hilltop
- Broadway & Moss
- Moss & 4th Ave
- Palomar & Industrial Blvd
- Broadway & Palomar
Between 2010 and 2016, San Diego County had 6,824 bicycle accidents. Almost all resulted in a bicyclist death or injury. Chula Vista accounted for more accidents than any other San Diego city with 7 fatal injuries, 30 severe injuries, and 209 visible injuries.
What Is My Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
Every bicycle accident claim is unique.
Many factors can influence the value of your claim such as:
- The value of economic losses
- The severity and type of injuries you suffered
- The type of medical care you received
- Whether your accident caused disability, impairment, or disfigurement
- How your injuries will affect your independence, mental health, and quality of life
- Whether you were partially at fault for the crash
The only way to determine an accurate estimate of your claim’s value is through a conversation with a personal injury lawyer. Our Chula Vista bicycle accident attorneys will help you understand what your case may be worth.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Bicycle Accident Victims in California?
Bicycle accident victims may be entitled to compensation for a broad range of economic and non-economic damages.
Depending on the details of your case, you may recover money for:
- Property damage
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost earnings
- Lost earning capacity to compensate for lost wages and employment benefits in the future if impaired or disabled
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death damages for the loss of a loved one in a bicycle accident
Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will help you pursue full compensation for all of the damages you sustained. If your case goes to court, you may even be entitled to punitive damages if the at-fault party displayed egregious conduct or gross negligence.
Can I Recover Compensation if I’m Being Blamed for a Bicycle Accident in California?
It’s common for bicycle accidents and other traffic accidents to involve shared blame. In fact, when police determined fault in 701 crashes involving bicycles and motorists in San Diego County in 2011, they found cyclists were at fault in 56% of accidents. The following year, bicyclists were at fault 60% of the time.
As a cyclist, you may be found partially at fault due to violating the right of way, for example, or failing to stop at a red light or stop sign.
California uses a pure comparative negligence rule in accident cases involving shared blame. Under this rule, you can still recover compensation for your injuries even if you are up to 99% at fault. Your recovery will be reduced according to your assigned share of liability.
However, insurance companies exploit this system and attempt to shift as much blame as they can onto you. This is why it’s crucial to work with a Chula Vista bicycle accident lawyer, particularly if you may have contributed at all to your crash.
We’ll Fight for Compensation for All of Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
The vast majority of bicycle accidents involving a vehicle involve injury to the cyclist. Just like car accidents, you may sustain anything from minor abrasions and contusions to catastrophic injuries.
At Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, we will fight for full compensation for bicycle accident injuries like:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Back injuries
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Facial injuries and eye injuries
- Organ damage
We will help you recover not only your current medical expenses associated with these injuries but future medical bills, lost wages, and more.
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in Chula Vista, California?
Bicycle accidents may be caused by a wide range of factors. While road conditions, the environment, and car or bicycle defects may have a primary or contributing role, human error is usually to blame.
Common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Driver inattention
- Drunk driving
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Violating the right of way
- Unsafe left-hand turns
Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will help you investigate how your accident occurred and prove who was at fault for the collision.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bicycle Accident in Chula Vista, CA?
Recovering compensation will require showing the other party was completely or partially at fault for your accident through some type of negligence. This means they failed to exercise the care a reasonable person would demonstrate in similar circumstances.
A motorist may be negligent if they violate California rules of the road, including laws on sharing the road with bicyclists.
To prove negligence, the Chula Vista personal injury attorneys at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will investigate your case to gather evidence such as:
- Police reports, arrests, and citations associated with your crash
- Surveillance from traffic cams and dash cams
- Videos and photos of the accident scene, damage to vehicles and your bicycle, and road conditions
- Witness statements
- Cell phone records from a suspected distracted motorist
We will work with experts in accident reconstruction and other specialties to interpret this evidence and offer expert testimony to support your case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Bicycle Accident in California?
The California statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is two years. If your lawsuit is not filed before this deadline expires, you lose the legal right to recover compensation for your accident.
Do not delay; the sooner we begin investigating your accident, the easier it will be to gather and preserve evidence that proves causation and liability. Contact Mission Personal Injury Lawyers as soon as possible after your crash to protect your bicycle accident claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Chula Vista Bicycle Accident Lawyer
After a traumatic bicycle accident, you should not be concerned with paperwork, arguing with an insurance adjuster, or fighting for the compensation you need. Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will put decades of experience to work for you so you can focus on recovering.
Contact our law firm today for a free consultation with a compassionate Chula Vista bicycle accident lawyer ready to help you.
Our personal injury law firm in Chula Vista, CA also provides:
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Car Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Product Liability Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA