Have you or a loved one been seriously injured in a truck crash in Chula Vista, CA? Truck accident victims may be entitled to money for lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages. An experienced Chula Vista truck accident lawyer can help you build your case and fight for the fair compensation you deserve.
For over 25 years, Mission Personal Injury Lawyers has not only represented victims after a truck accident, but they also have represented car accidents, motorcycle accidents, Chula Vista premises liability, slip and fall accidents, Chula Vista Lyft accidents, medical malpractice, and more accidents.
Table of Contents
How Mission Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Truck Accident in Chula Vista
When you are left with serious injuries after a truck crash in Chula Vista, California, you should not be left with financial uncertainty or a stressful fight with an uncaring insurance company.
At Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, our award-winning Chula Vista personal injury lawyers have fought for the rights of injury victims for more than 25 years. We have been awarded as the Best of the Bar by the San Diego Business Journal and have a 10.0 Superb AVVO rating based on our successful track record.
When you turn to Mission Personal Injury Lawyers for legal representation, you can depend on us to:
- Offer experienced legal advice and help you understand what to expect during your case
- Perform a careful investigation into your crash to determine causation and liability
- Work with experts in many fields to prove negligence and accurately value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to fight for a fair settlement offer
- Present your case before a jury if the insurance company won’t treat you fairly
Our Chula Vista personal injury law firm will help you recover the money you need for your injuries. We have recovered tens of millions in settlements and jury awards for our clients. We will fight to do the same for you. Call today for a free consultation with a Chula Vista truck accident lawyer who can help.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Chula Vista, CA?
Commercial trucks are the backbone of the economy, moving food and goods across California and the rest of the country.
However, large trucks and semi-trucks share the road with smaller passenger vehicles that are vulnerable in a crash.
Commercial vehicles represent only 4% of vehicles on U.S. highways, but they are involved in about 13% of fatal crashes. When a large semi-truck hits a passenger vehicle, 96% of fatalities involve car passengers and not truck occupants.
Truck driving is the most common occupation in California, and our state ranks second for fatal truck collisions after Texas. There were 361 fatal truck accidents in California in 2017 alone, according to the FMCSA.
What Is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
Every injury claim is unique, and there is no way to estimate your claim’s value without a consultation and careful review of the circumstances of your accident. Your non-economic damages like pain and suffering may account for a larger share of your claim’s value than your economic damages.
These damages are difficult to calculate and may be based on:
- The type and severity of injuries
- Whether you are disfigured, impaired, or totally disabled
- The type of treatments you had to receive
- The need for future medical care
- Personal and emotional losses, such as an inability to enjoy hobbies, drive, or play with your children
- Circumstances of your accident, such as whether the at-fault driver was under the influence
Our law group will work with experts to accurately value your claim. Contact an experienced Chula Vista truck accident attorney at Mission Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss what your case may be worth.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Truck Accident Victims in California?
Truck accident victims are entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages from any at-fault parties.
You may be eligible for compensation for:
- Medical bills, including necessary future care
- Lost wages, including lost earning capacity if disabled
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Rare cases also qualify for punitive damages. A jury may award these damages if you can show the defendant’s conduct was malicious, intentional, or extremely reckless.
Can I Recover Compensation if I’m Being Blamed for a Truck Accident in Chula Vista?
California uses a pure comparative negligence rule in personal injury cases involving shared fault. Under this rule, you can still recover compensation even if you are 99% at fault.
If you are found partially at fault for the crash, your damages award will be reduced based on your share of fault. Insurance companies use this to their advantage and try to shift as much blame as possible to accident victims. This makes it particularly important to seek experienced legal counsel to fight attempts to blame you if you’ve been injured in a truck accident.
We Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Truck Accident Injuries
Accidents involving large trucks are more likely to result in serious injuries than car accidents. Commercial trucks aren’t just heavier; they require up to 40% more space to stop, and they have a high ground clearance. This can cause the truck to jackknife, crush a smaller vehicle, collide with several vehicles at once, or force a passenger vehicle underneath a trailer.
At Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, we will pursue maximum compensation for the injuries you have sustained in a truck accident caused by someone else’s negligence.
We represent accident victims with injuries, including:
- Back injuries
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Catastrophic injuries
- Eye injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
We also recognize that the harm you suffered can extend beyond physical injuries. Our injury lawyers will fight for compensation for your emotional and psychological injuries, like depression, anxiety, reduced quality of life, and PTSD.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in Chula Vista, CA?
There may be many factors that contribute to a truck accident in Chula Vista. Sometimes these accidents are caused, at least in part, by defective truck parts, poor maintenance, or improper cargo loading. Many accidents are caused by negligent drivers, whether it is the truck driver or another driver. The trucking company can also be at fault for negligent hiring and training practices or violations of FMCSA regulations.
The Large Truck Crash Causation Study researched the causes of hundreds of thousands of commercial truck accidents in the United States.
This study found the following factors are leading causes of truck collisions:
- Fatigued driving, usually due to a truck driver spending too many hours on the road and potentially violating federal hours-of-service rules.
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving or drugged driving
- Unfamiliarity with the road
- Brake issues
Mission Personal Injury Lawyers will investigate the cause of your accident to determine how it happened and who may be liable for the injuries you sustained.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in California?
With car accidents in San Diego County, one or more drivers are almost always found at fault. Truck accidents are different, as multiple parties may be negligent.
Depending on the circumstances of your crash, negligent parties may include the:
- Truck driver
- Other drivers on the road
- The trucking company that employs the driver
- The company responsible for maintaining and inspecting the truck
- The company that loaded the cargo
- Manufacturers of faulty truck parts like brakes
To prove negligence, Mission Personal Injury Lawyers works with experts in many fields and performs an independent investigation of the crash.
We will search for evidence that establishes negligence, such as:
- Dash cam footage from the truck or a passenger vehicle
- Truck maintenance logs
- Truck driver logs
- The trucking company’s policies and internal records
- Witness statements
- Expert testimony
- Results from an investigation conducted by law enforcement or the NTSB
- Police reports
- The truck’s black box recorder
- Drug and alcohol testing of the truck driver, often an FMSCA requirement after a crash
We will work tirelessly to build a strong case that shows how your accident occurred and who is to blame for the injuries you suffered.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in California?
The statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in California is just two years. If your claim is not filed in court by this legal deadline, you will be barred from seeking compensation for your injuries.
Two years may sound like a long time, but it isn’t. Your truck accident will likely require a lengthy investigation to gather the necessary proof to support your claim. Contact a Chula Vista truck accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your claim.
Contact a Chula Vista Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
In a single moment, your life can be forever changed. Truck accidents often result in serious and traumatic injuries, but the insurance company won’t be on your side. Contact our law office for the experienced legal representation you deserve to fight for your rights and maximum compensation.
At Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, we have recovered life-changing settlements and jury awards for our clients. Schedule a free consultation with a compassionate Chula Vista truck accident lawyer today to get started on your case.
Our personal injury law firm in Chula Vista, CA also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Car Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Construction Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Product Liability Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Chula Vista, CA
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Chula Vista, CA