Large truck accidents generally result in catastrophic injuries and traffic fatalities in San Diego, CA. Jackknife truck crashes are some of the most serious types of commercial truck accidents. These crashes often involve multiple vehicles, rollovers, and crushed vehicles.
The San Diego jackknife accident lawyers of Mission Personal Injury Lawyers help clients recover compensation for injuries and damages caused by truck accidents. We have recovered millions of dollars in jury verdicts and settlements for our clients.
We understand the devastating consequences for the accident victims and their families. That is why we are dedicated to holding trucking companies and negligent truck drivers liable for the damages they cause.
Table of Contents
How Our San Diego Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You With a Jackknife Accident Case
Since 2010, our law firm has worked to secure fair and just compensation for injured victims and their families. Our San Diego truck accident attorneys have over four decades of legal experience. They are nationally recognized for their legal services and dedication to clients.
Truck accident cases are incredibly complex personal injury claims. Our legal team understands how to investigate and pursue these claims to get you the money you deserve.
When you hire Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, you can expect us to:
- Conduct an independent investigation to determine the cause of the crash and identify the responsible parties
- Monitor the outcome of accident investigations by local, state, and federal agencies
- File insurance claims and handle all communications and settlement negotiations with the insurance company
- Hire accident reconstructionists, commercial trucking experts, and other experts to assist with the case, as necessary
- Work with your medical providers to determine the extent of your injuries and damages
- Document your damages to calculate the correct value for your injury claim
- Aggressively work to obtain a settlement amount that compensates you fully for your losses
- Advocate for you in court if a lawsuit is necessary to hold the parties accountable for their negligence and wrongdoing
We encourage you to contact us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced truck accident lawyer in San Diego, California. Your initial consultation with an attorney is free.
What Is a Jackknife Accident?
Large truck accidents can be devastating for passengers in other vehicles. The size and weight of a semi-truck can destroy a passenger vehicle. Consistently, most people injured and killed in large truck accidents are people in other vehicles.
All truck crashes can be deadly. However, a jackknife truck accident can be very dangerous for people in other vehicles.
When a truck “jackknifes,” the tractor and trailer end up at a 90-degree angle. The trailer swings around, making a sharp angle with the tractor as the truck folds in on itself. The motion of the tractor-trailer resembles what you see when you close a pocket knife.
As the tractor swings toward the truck cab, it can crush vehicles caught within the radius. The motion can also cause a rollover accident that catches cars beneath the truck. The result is catastrophic injuries for the passengers of those vehicles.
What Are the Common Causes of Jackknife Truck Accidents in San Diego?
Truck driver negligence, road conditions, and weather can be factors in the cause of a jackknife truck accident. In some cases, defective truck parts or systems and inadequate maintenance could cause the crash. Our lawyers thoroughly investigate the cause to identify each party that could be liable for your damages.
Common causes of jackknife truck accidents include:
- Distracted, impaired, drowsy, and reckless driving
- Traveling at excessive speeds or traveling too fast for conditions
- Improperly secured loads that shift
- Other motorists cutting off trucks or stopping suddenly in front of a large truck
- Sharp curves and steep grades
- Weather and road conditions
- Equipment malfunction and defective truck parts
- Inadequate or improper truck maintenance
Several parties could be liable for a truck accident. The truck driver and trucking company are often responsible. However, loaders, shippers, truck manufacturers, repair companies, maintenance providers, and other motorists could be named as defendants in a truck accident lawsuit.
Injuries and Damages Caused by a Jackknife Truck Crash
Accident victims often sustain multiple injuries in a commercial truck accident. Common truck accident injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe burns and disfigurement
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Neck and back injuries
The damages caused by a truck accident include economic damages, including the cost of medical treatment, lost wages, and other expenses. In addition, victims may also seek compensation for their non-economic damages. These damages represent the pain and suffering they experience because of the accident and their injuries.
Many accident victims sustain life-altering injuries. As a result, they might be entitled to future damages for diminished earning capacity, ongoing medical bills, continued emotional distress, physical pain, and diminished quality of life.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our San Diego Jackknife Accident Lawyers
Were you injured in a truck accident? Call now for a free consultation with a San Diego jackknife accident lawyer. Learn about your options for recovering compensation and how we can help you with a personal injury case.