Oceanside is a beautiful place to ride bicycles. Many residents and visitors enjoy bicycling throughout the city. Cyclists may also ride their bicycles for exercise or because it is an inexpensive transportation option.
Unfortunately, riding a bicycle in Oceanside can be dangerous. Drivers do not always watch out for cyclists. A bicycle accident can cause severe injuries or even wrongful death.
The Oceanside bicycle accident lawyers of Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, P.C. understand the risks bicyclists face when sharing the road with motorists. Therefore, we diligently pursue accident claims on behalf of cyclists when a negligent motorist causes a bike accident.
Call our law office for a free consultation with an Oceanside personal injury attorney if you were injured in a bicycle accident.
How Our Oceanside Personal Injury Lawyers Help You After a Bicycle Accident
Oceanside bicycle accidents can have devastating consequences for the bike rider. A bicyclist may never recover fully from their injuries. Therefore, they may have no option but to seek compensation from the other driver.
However, insurance companies are tight-fisted and may give you the runaround after your bike accident. Mission Personal Injury Lawyers, P.C. won’t let them get away with it.
When you retain our Oceanside bicycle accident attorneys, you can expect us to:
- Begin an investigation into the cause of your bicycle accident, including gathering physical evidence and interviewing witnesses
- Work with you and your doctors to document your injuries, including any permanent impairments caused by the crash
- Monitor deadlines for filing lawsuits and claims
- File insurance claims and handle settlement negotiations
If the other party refuses to agree to a fair settlement, we will pursue your case in court. Our attorneys are experienced trial lawyers who do not shy away from a court battle when it is in our client’s best interest.
Reach out to our office online or call us for more information. Your initial consultation with an Oceanside personal injury lawyer is free of charge.
Why Do Bicycle Accidents Happen in Oceanside?
According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, over 100 bicyclists die each year in accidents. In addition, more than 10,000 bicyclists sustain injuries in collisions. Even though bicyclists have the same rights as motorists, many motorists do not respect those rights.
Common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Failing to yield the right of way to a cyclist
- Following a bicyclist too closely
- Passing a bicycle within sufficient room
- Striking a bicycle because of distractions
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving in a designated bicycle lane
- Hitting a bicyclist because the driver fell asleep while driving
It is important to note that bicyclists also have the same responsibilities as motorists. Riders must obey traffic laws and bicycle laws. In addition, they have a duty of care to avoid actions that could cause an accident.
If a rider is partially to blame for the cause of a bicycle accident, their damages could be reduced by their percentage of fault for the crash due to California’s contributory fault laws.
Injuries Sustained in Oceanside Bicycle Accidents
Like a pedestrian or motorcyclist, a bicycle rider does not have the same protection a driver has during a collision. The bicycle does not enclose the rider in a metal frame or have airbags or a seat belt.
Even though most bicyclists wear a helmet and protective pads, they may sustain severe injuries in a bike accident, including:
- Deep lacerations
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Neck and shoulder injuries
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Significant disfigurement
- Amputations and loss of limbs
The extent of the injuries determines the type of treatment and the duration of the recovery. It also determines whether the bicyclist will suffer permanent impairments or disabilities.
What Damages Could I Receive for a Bicycle Accident?
- The cost of personal care and long-term nursing care
- The cost of medical treatment, including surgeries and therapies
- Physical pain and suffering
- Disfigurement, impairment, and disability
- Lost wages and decreases in future earning potential
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Your time to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for damages is limited by the California statute of limitations. Most bicycle accident lawsuits must be filed within two years of the date of the bicycle accident. However, there are some exceptions, so always check with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after a bicycle accident.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Oceanside Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Car accidents involving bicyclists are tragic. Our personal injury lawyers in Oceanside represent families in wrongful death claims against drivers who caused their loved one’s death. We also represent cyclists who sustained injuries because of a driver’s negligence.
Call now to schedule your free case evaluation. We look forward to discussing your situation with you.