SAN DIEGO WRONGFUL DEATH ATTORNEY
Call Mission Legal Center Now! 619-777-5555
Wrongful deaths are among the most devastating occurrence that individuals and their families can suffer. Oftentimes, wrongful deaths occur because of a vehicle accident, defective property, product liability, or workplace negligence.
Families who have suffered a wrongful death are entitled to justice and extensive compensation under California law, and should secure the expertise of a top rated San Diego wrongful death attorney like Mission Legal Center Personal Injury immediately.
Call us for a free consultation and case-specific guidance today at 619-777-5555
- Per the Centers for Disease Control 90% of all wrongful death cases involve medical malpractice
- Of those cases involving medical malpractice, the Institute of Medicine has identified that a majority of wrongful death cases involving medical malpractice, resulted from medication errors.
- In California there are more than 10,000 wrongful deaths annually, that stem from vehicle collisions.
- Surveys in 2012 identified 329 fatalities related to workplace injuries, including but not limited to injuries sustained while operating a motor vehicle while on company business.
- Slip and fall accidents were identified as the third leading cause of work place deaths
Most Likely Causes of Wrongful Death in San Diego
Common scenarios which are considered eligible for petition of wrongful death are:
- Medical Malpractice
- Vehicular Collision
- Defective or Poor Maintenance of Property
- Product Liability
- Workplace Negligence
The Next Step
If a family member is involved in an accident, that results in a fatality, we recommend following these guidelines to protect your rights, and the rights of your loved one.
- Contact law enforcement, and ensure that an ambulance is sent to the scene of the accident
- If any injuries are sustained as a result of the accident, permit paramedics to transport your loved one to medical facilities for care and treatment
- Refrain from discussing the facts of the case without contacting a San Diego wrongful death attorney.
- If available to do so, gather insurance, contact information, and other important information for all parties involved in the accident.
- Refrain from contacting or speaking to insurance adjusters or attorney representatives regarding the facts of the case.
- Memorialize the physical setting of the case through photographs of the scene and the objects involved in the accident.
- Refrain from signing release forms or other agreement documentation without consulting an respected San Diego wrongful death attorney.
After The Injury or Wrongful Death in San Diego
If your family member has suffered serious or fatal injury, contact Mission Legal Center. We are San Diego wrongful death attorneys with success in helping those families who have lost a loved one too soon, to receive the necessary care and treatment you need. Additionally, we help you to receive the compensation you need and deserve. Call for a free consultation and case specific guidance: 619-777-5555. You may also contact us or follow us on Facebook.
As a family owned and operated San Diego Personal Injury and Accident Law Firm, Mission Legal Center is conveniently located in Mission Valley – San Diego, California.
FAQ’s About Wrongful Death
A: A wrongful death is a death in which a person dies because of the action of a person, or group of persons, where if a normal standard of care was applied, the actions would have been avoided.
A: A petition for wrongful death in San Diego County is typically filed on behalf of the deceased, by their estate.
A: A wrongful death petition may be filed against a state or other government entity where conditions are present that waive the right of sovereignty.
If you have lost a loved one due to wrongful death, contact Mission Legal Center. We are a San Diego Personal Injury Wrongful Death Law Firm dedicated to helping those who have suffered the loss of a loved one as the result of the negligence or wrongdoing of another. Call for a free consultation and case specific guidance: 619-777-5555. You may also Contact Us
A: Judgments for monetary damages in wrongful death petitions in San Diego County are typically classified in two ways; there are compensatory damages and there are also punitive damages.
- Compensatory damages provide compensation directly to the benefit of the heirs or plaintiffs in amounts that are commensurate to a number of different factors, based upon the person who suffered at the hands of the negligent entity. To gather a better understanding of how compensatory damages could be applied in your case, contact an experienced wrongful death attorney.
- Punitive damages provide compensation directly to the benefit of the heirs or plaintiffs as a means to “punish” in a civil manner, the negligent party. To see how these figures are calculated for your case, contact an experienced wrongful death attorney.
A: In cases where “non-economic damages” are awarded, the State of California caps the amount that may be awarded to $250,000. Non-economic damages include, but are not limited to:
- Loss of love and companionship
- Loss of affection
- Loss of moral support
- Loss of training and guidance (restricted to cases of children who survive the death of a parent)
- Loss of comfort and enjoyment of sexual relations
- For additional information on how non-economic damages may apply to your case, contact an experienced San Diego wrongful death attorney.
A: The standard for filing a wrongful death case in the State of California is generally two years. However, special circumstances may provide for an extended filing period of your petition. To better understand if this applies to you, contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer based in San Diego.