SAN DIEGO NURSING HOME ABUSE AND NEGLECT ATTORNEY
Call Mission Legal Center Now! 619-777-5555
Elder abuse is a rampant problem in Southern California and San Diego. As San Diego residents become senior citizens and enter nursing homes, there is an unfortunately high risk of suffering nursing home abuse and/or neglect. Senior abuse can lead to physical or psychological injury, or even death.
If you or a loved one suffered senior abuse while residing at a nursing home or by a caregiver, you have legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for injury and related damages you’ve sustained. Enlist the expertise of top reviewed San Diego senior abuse attorney Mission Legal Center specializing in nursing home abuse and neglect.
Call us for a free consultation and case-specific guidance today at 619-777-5555
According to the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA):
- By 2050, 20% of the U.S. population will be made up of people 65 years old and up
- By 2050, there will be 19 million people 85 years old and up
- Statistics show that elderly women are more likely than elderly men to become victims of abuse
- One study shows that only 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse ever gets reported to the authorities
- 90% of abusers are family members (adult children, spouses, partners and others)
- Between 1 and 2 million Americans age 65 and older have been injured, exploited or mistreated by someone they depend on for care
According to the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS):
- More than 50% of all complaints in nursing homes were related to poor quality of care
- 18% of all complaints were related to mistreatment or abuse
- 2/3 of all reported deficiencies caused, or could have caused, significant harm to one or more residents in nursing homes
The Types of Nursing Home Abuse in San Diego County
Emotional Abuse – Causing anguish, distress or mental pain on an elderly person
- Abuse can be verbal or non-verbal
- Changes in alertness
- Unusual behavioral changes
- Withdrawal from normal activities
Financial Abuse/Exploitation – Illegal misuse of funds, property or assets belonging to the elder
- Altered wills and trusts
- Sudden changes in finances and accounts
- Unusual cash/check withdrawals
Neglect/Abandonment – Denying an elderly person basic human needs: food, water, shelter or protection
- Desertion by caregiver
- Lack of medical care
- Pressure ulcers
Physical Abuse – Harming, or threatening to harm, an elderly person with physical pain or injury
- Basic need deprivation
- Burns (cigarette burns)
- Pressure marks
- Slap marks
- Unexplained bruises
Sexual Abuse – Harming an elderly person with non-consensual sex
- Bruises around breasts or genital area
- Fear of a certain person
- Reluctance to bathe
- Unexplained sexually transmitted diseases
Financial Abuse Warning Signs
Financial abuse can sometimes be more difficult to spot than physical abuse, so it’s important to look for the warning signs:
- Elderly person’s caregiver or friend is taking a special interest in their financial paperwork, including accessing bank statements, insurance policies and passwords
- Increased account activity like large/unusual cash withdrawals, transfers or loans
- Changes in trusts, wills or fiduciary accounts, including transferring title or assets to another person
- Elderly person’s sudden increase, or decrease, in desire to spend time with family and friends
- A reluctance to talk about finances at all or a fear regarding his/her finances
- The elderly person starts having valuable personal items come up “missing”
- Negative changes in the elderly person’s behavior, mood, appearance or mental/physical ability
The Next Step
If you believe a loved one has suffered from nursing home abuse and/or neglect, contact Mission Legal Center. We are San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys and Elder Abuse and Neglect attorneys with a proven record of success in helping those who suffer from serious injuries, to receive the necessary medical attention, care and treatment you need, in addition to compensation for future care you may require. Call for a free consultation and case specific guidance: <a” href=”tel:619-777-5555″>619-777-5555. You may also contact us or follow us on Facebook.
As a family owned and operated San Diego Personal Injury and Accident Law Firm, Mission Legal Center is conveniently located in Mission Valley – San Diego, California.
A: Harm or mistreatment of an elderly person in San Diego and surrounding communities committed by a close relative (spouse, sibling, child), friend or caregiver.
A: Harm or mistreatment of an elderly person occurring in a residential facility like an assisted living facility, group home or nursing home in greater San Diego. The violator is typically the legal or contractual caregiver.
A: APS is Adult Protective Services, a county social services agency in San Diego that, among many other things, looks into reported suspicions of elder abuse.
For more information about nursing home abuse and neglect in San Diego, click here. If you have reason to believe an elder you love is being abused in their home, or in a nursing home, contact Mission Legal today.