SAN DIEGO BUS ACCIDENT INJURY ATTORNEY
Call Mission Legal Center Now! 619-777-5555
In a major metropolitan area like San Diego, buses are a much used form of transportation. Unfortunately, bus accidents are not uncommon and often result in injuries to passengers and pedestrians. Sometimes bus accidents are caused by the negligence or wrongdoing by another, which means that victims of bus accidents may be entitled to compensation toward their injuries, related bills, and other associated damages.
To learn more about your legal options as a bus accident victim in San Diego, contact Mission Legal Center – top rated personal injury attorney today.
Call us for a free consultation and case-specific guidance today at 619-777-5555
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- From 2000-2009, there were 107 school bus occupant fatalities
- From 2000-2009, 43% of school-aged pedestrians killed in school transportation-related crashes were between the ages of 5 and 7 years’ old
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA):
- In 2013, 4,186 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes
The Common Causes of Bus Accidents
There can be many factors in determining the cause of a bus crash, from driver error to hazardous road conditions. Some of the most common causes are as follows:
- Failing to signal
- Failing to stop, slow down, yield for others
- Failing to obey traffic signs/lights
- Following too closely, tailgating
- Swerving erratically
- Unsafe lane changing
- On the phone
- Distracted by people and situations outside of the bus
- Distracted by the GPS
- Preoccupied with other passengers on the bus
- Texting while driving
- Turning around frequently to see what’s going on in the back of the bus
- Driving between 12-6am and 2-4pm (the hours when drivers are most tired)
- Not getting enough sleep
- Not resting/napping for at least 45 minutes at a time
- Suffering from a sleep deficit, sleep apnea or insomnia
- Taking medications that cause drowsiness
Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol
- Drifting into curbs or other cars
- Driving at night with headlights off
- Driving extremely fast or extremely slow
- Driving with the windows down on a very cold night
- Failing to yield to pedestrians, other drivers
- Hostile/aggressive driving behavior
- Making really wide turns
- Tailgating, following too closely
- Trouble staying inside of one lane
- Unsafe lane changing
Hazardous Road Conditions
- Debris on the road/highway
- Rain, sleet, snow and ice
- Uneven roads
Unsafe, or poorly maintained roads and highways cause lots of automobile accidents in San Diego and throughout greater Southern California. For example, a pothole on a highway can cause a blown tire, which in turn can cause an automobile, bus, motorcycle or truck accident a result of the driver’s loss of control.
Unsafe Conditions of Buses and Equipment Failure
- Engine Problems
- Failed brakes
- Failed inspections
- Steering failure
- Suspension failure
- Tire blowout
Performing regular maintenance on the bus can help detect and prevent any major issues. Bus companies in California are required to regularly conduct safety inspections and ensure that necessary repairs are done. They are also required by federal law to keep vehicle maintenance logs.
The Next Step
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, contact Mission Legal Center. We are San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys with a proven record of success in helping those who suffer from a serious injury, to receive the necessary medical attention, care and treatment you need, in addition to compensation for future care you may require. Call for a free consultation and case specific guidance: <a” href=”tel:619-777-5555″>619-777-5555. You may also contact us or follow us on Facebook.
As a family owned and operated San Diego Personal Injury and Accident Law Firm, Mission Legal Center is conveniently located in Mission Valley – San Diego, California.
A: Depending on the cause of the accident, the bus driver, as well as the company he/she drives for, can be liable for damages and injuries sustained by individuals, including property damage in San Diego County. For example, if a bus driver causes an accident while under the influence of alcohol, the company and the driver can be held liable.
A: The amount of time a bus accident victim has to file an injury claim in San Diego can be as little as 6 months, although that depends on several factors. It’s important to seek the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney, to ensure the claim is filed in time.
For more information about bus accident injuries in San Diego County, click here. If you have been injured in a bus accident, or sustained property damage as the result of a bus accident, contact Mission Legal Center. Call for a free consultation and case specific guidance: 619-777-5555. You may also contact us
A: It’s a broad term for a company whose business it is to transport people or goods from one place to the next, for a fee. Buses, taxicabs and passenger trains are all examples of “common carriers.”