SAN DIEGO BURN INJURY ATTORNEY
Burn injuries often lead to a lifetime of pain, as well as a host of related medical problems and costs. Unfortunately, burn injuries typically result from another’s wrongdoing or negligence, in the course of a vehicle accident, a workplace injury, a pipeline explosion, among others. If you have suffered a burn injury, you may be entitled to damages relating to your injury, its associated expenses, and any long term medical needs you may have. To explore your legal options, secure the expertise of a top reviewed burn injury attorney in San Diego like Mission Legal Center Personal Injury today.
Call us for a free consultation and case-specific guidance today at 619-777-5555
According to the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation:
- Approximately 2.4 million burn injuries are reported each year
- Approximately 650,000 of burn injuries are treated by medical professionals
- Approximately 75,000 of burn victims are hospitalized; 20,000 have major burns involving at least 25% of their total body surface area
- Roughly 1 million burn victims will sustain substantial or permanent disabilities
- Between 8,000 and 12,000 of burn patients will die
Common Causes of Burn Injuries in San Diego
Burn injuries are second to motor vehicle accidents as the leading cause of accidental death in the United States. Burn injuries can occur as a result of:
- Chemical burns
- Excessive/extreme sun exposure
- Faulty stoves or ovens
- Fires (including flames from matches, candles, lighters)
- Microwave explosions
- Poor electrical wiring (causing electrical burns)
- Poor home or building maintenance
- Public or governmental property neglect
- Scalding from hot liquids
The Severity of the Burn
According to The Mayo Clinic, there are three main categories that help measure the severity of a burn.
- The most minor
- Also called “superficial burns”
- Minor inflammation
- Redness at burn site
- Damage includes non-blistered skin
- Extremely red and sore at burn site
- Damage includes thickening of the skin
- Damage extends beyond the top layer of skin
- Most severe of the three
- Damage includes widespread thickness of a white, leathery appearance of the skin
- Damage extends through every layer of the skin
- Damage can reach bones, major organs and the bloodstream
- Can be fatal
- Should only be treated by a medical professional
The Financial, Physical, and Emotional Costs of Burn Injuries in San Diego
- Medical bills
- Doctor visits
- Hospital bills
- Plastic/cosmetic surgery bills
- Mental pain and anguish
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Permanent scarring
- Physical impairment
- Physical pain and suffering
- Rehab (temporary and long-term)
Burn Prevention Tips
There are several precautions you can take to keep your home a little safer from the risk of burns, including:
- Buying fire extinguishers
- Cleaning dryer lint traps
- Covering electrical outlets
- Keeping chemicals out of easy reach
- Keeping matches, lighters and lighter fluid locked up
- Regularly testing smoke detectors
- Turning down water temperature to 120�F
- Turning the handle of hot pots and pans inward, out of easy reach
- Watching young children closely while cooking
San Diego Burn Injury – The Next Step
If you have been burned as a result of someone’s negligence or a defective product, contact Mission Legal Center. We are San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys with a proven record of success in helping those who suffer from a serious injury such as a burn, to receive the necessary medical attention, care and treatment you need, in addition to compensation for future care you may require. Call for a free consultation and case-specific guidance: 619-777-5555. You may also contact us or follow us on Facebook.
As a family owned and operated San Diego Personal Injury and Accident Law Firm, Mission Legal Center is conveniently located in Mission Valley – San Diego, California.
San Diego Burn Injury Attorney FAQ’s
A: Burn injuries include chemical burns, extreme or excessive sun exposure, result from faulty ovens, stove, furnaces, microwaves, poor electrical wiring, poor building or home maintenance, scalding from hot liquids/foods, and more.
A: Burns may range from superficial, minor inflammation, redness near the burn site, to blisters, sore burn sites, damage to the skin including thickening. More severe burns, such as third degree burns may present symptoms of a large area of white leathery appearing skin, damage that permeates multiple layers of the skin, and even reaches the bone, organs and blood stream. Severe burns may be and all too often result in death. Learn more about burn injuries in San Diego by clicking here.
If you have been burned as a result of someone’s negligence or a defective product, contact Mission Legal Center. We are San Diego Personal Injury Victim Lawyers who are dedicated to helping burn victims to recover, and recoup compensation they may be entitled to. Call for a free consultation and case specific guidance: 619-777-5555. You may also contact us
A: Absolutely. First and second-degree burns carry the risk of causing an infection like Sepsis (an infection in the bloodstream) as a result of bacteria entering through the broken skin.
A: As long as the smoke detector is functioning properly, it’s recommended that detectors only need to be replaced once every ten years.
A: The Mayo Clinic suggests that space heaters be kept at least 3 feet away from bedding, curtains, furniture and other flammable materials. Also, never leave a space heater on while you’re sleeping.