SAN DIEGO AVIATION ACCIDENT INJURY DEATH ATTORNEY
Call Mission Legal Center Now! 619-777-5555
Airplane/Aviation accidents involving planes and passengers often involve serious injury or death. Though plane accidents in San Diego may be less common than automobile, boating, or motorcycle accidents, they do occur and regularly result in severe damage to passengers and property.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury because of an aviation accident, or if your family experienced a wrongful death because of an aviation accident, you have a legal right to compensation to account for any related damages.
To learn more about your legal options when it comes to aviation accidents, contact a top rated San Diego personal injury attorney who has experience in aviation and plane accidents involving injury and/or wrongful death claims like Mission Legal Center.
Call us for a free consultation and case-specific guidance today at 619-777-5555
Who Does What?
Department of Transportation (DOT)- Aviation Consumer Protection Division
- Oversees consumer air travel related issues
- Provides legal review and support on aviation economic licensing matters
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Responsible for ensuring minimum safety standards and regulations are met with the manufacturing, operation and maintenance of aircraft’s
- Operates the air traffic control system
- Oversees pilot certification
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- Responsible for determining causes of transportation accidents
- Conducts investigations
- Recommends any necessary changes in procedure
- Assists victims and their families after an accident
Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Regulates aviation security
- Operates airport screening checkpoints
According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the number of people using air travel is expected to double in the next two decades. As air traffic goes up, so does the risk of accidents and fatalities.
According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB):
- On average, there are 6 aviation accidents per 100,000 flight hours on commercial airlines; only 1 of those 6 accidents is fatal (percentage is higher when including private commuter planes)
- In 2013, there were 34,678 transportation fatalities; of those, 443 were aviation accidents
- Although the personal flying accident rate has decreased 20% over the last 10 years, the fatal rate has increased 25% over that same period
- Over the last 10 years, the NTSB has investigated approximately 1500 general aviation accidents per year
The Common Causes
Weather and mechanical error can be a cause for a plane accident, but pilot error accounts for about 50% of the causes for plane crashes. The following are examples of pilot errors:
- Loss of Control
- More than 40% of general aviation accidents were loss of control during 2001-2011
- Most deadly flight phases are: approach to landing, maneuvering and the climb
- Loss of control is the primary cause of accidents for: personal, instructional, business, corporate and airline flying
- Fatally injured pilots found using potentially impairing drugs has gone up on average from 11% (1990-1997) to 23% (2008-2012)
- Most common drug category is Sedating Antihistamines
- Most common individual drug is Diphenhydramine; usage is increasing
- Need for a sterile cockpit
- Distractions must be managed appropriately
- Fitness for Duty
- Pilots must self-assess for fitness, make appropriate flight preparations
- Focus on medical conditions (i.e. sleep apnea)
- Enhance medical knowledge
- Procedural Compliance
- More than a dozen commercial aircraft accidents in the last 10 years were compliance related
- To strengthen procedural compliance, airlines must: implement well-developed procedures, train to the procedures and reinforce operations to the procedures
The Next Step
If you or a loved one has been involved in a plane accident, contact Mission Legal Center. We are San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys with a proven record of success in helping those who suffer from a serious injury, to receive the necessary medical attention, care and treatment you need, in addition to compensation for future care you may require. Call for a free consultation and case-specific guidance: 619-777-5555. You may also contact us or follow us on Facebook.
As a family owned and operated San Diego Personal Injury and Accident Law Firm, Mission Legal Center is conveniently located in Mission Valley – San Diego, California.
A: Weather and mechanical error can be a cause for a plane accident, but pilot error accounts for about 50% of the causes for plane crashes. Pilot errors include loss of control, impairment, distractions, fitness for duty, and procedural compliance. For more information about aviation accidents in San Diego, click here.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a plane accident, contact Mission Legal Center. We are San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys with a proven record of success in helping those who suffer from a serious injury, to receive the necessary medical attention, care and treatment you need, in addition to compensation for future care you may require. Call for a free consultation and case specific guidance: You may also contact us